I think its something we all can struggle with from time to time: work-life balance. This applies to anyone that does any type of work, meaning both in and out of the home. As a WAHM I struggle daily with this and it gets harder everyday that I don’t follow my own advice. If you’re like me and you find it difficult to turn your brain off after hubby and kiddies go to bed, because your up working then you’ll most likely find these tips extremely useful. On the same token, I remember what it was like when I worked full-time and how life seemed to revolve around work. I’d get up, go to work, come home, and then lounge around until way too late, and then finally drag my overtired self to bed. A shower was sometimes in order and sometimes it just had to wait until the morning.
As women, I think we’re programmed to work nearly 24/7. Whether you’re a mother or not, it just seems that way. Men can turn their brains off at any given moment and simple shut down. My husband does it and I’m in awe of him all the time, because its the one thing, the thing that seems so simply, that he can do better than me. I mean shoot, I had a baby…like literally pushed all nearly 9 lbs of my son out of my 125lb body, hear me roar! But sersiouly, women…we’re just wired differently. I’m sure there’s some scientific reason why, but that’s beyond my scope of knowledge. What I do know, however, are a few ways for how to achieve a better work life balance and how to implement them.
Let’s hop to it!
- It takes discipline to have balance. – Plain and simple. You have to know when to put things down, close that laptop, and just stop.
- Don’t try to do it all. – Steps goals and prioritize. Accomplish the important things, and if you have one or two things left over, its okay!
- Have a decompression outlet. – This means you do something that calms your heart and quiets your mind. By the time you get in bed your mind won’t still be going 100 miles per hour. If it means you turn your phone face down after setting your alarm until the morning, do it! Don’t be distracted by social media or emails when you’re trying to wind down.
- Take time for yourself and family everyday. – I really need to work on this one, because I’m personally guilty of working well into the evening and night. Sometimes its the only time I can think clearly, but I’d be better off getting in bed, relaxing, and spending some time with God.
- Have do nothing days/moments. – These are days just for you. If you work during the week, take Saturday or Sunday to do something just for you. Whether it be some retail therapy, a bubble bath, or lounging in your pjs on Sunday, do something that fuels your soul and doesn’t require you to meet anyone’s needs but your own.
- Keep work at work. -Don’t take work home and if you work at home establish office hours. I’ve been in both situations and when you don’t follow that simple rule, you will find yourself working all the time.
- Take time off. – Yes a vacation or even a staycation if you can’t afford to take a real vacation to somewhere. Again, this applies to both those who work in an outside of the home. Time away from work does everybody good, like milk (unless you’re lactose intolerant). It gives you time to refresh, get rejuvenated, and even get inspired. Many times this is the secret to not getting burnt out. You push and push yourself all of the time and without taking time off, you will crash and burn. Take care of yourself and take time off!
So those are a few things you can start doing today, and as you approach the weekend really make sure you are letting go and releasing. There are many more ways to achieve work-life balance, but the important thing is to start somewhere and do it. You will find yourself such a better place with all parts of your life with you are working toward that balance.
It will never be perfectly balanced, but you will have a better quality of life by doing so. At the end of the day that’s really all that matters; love, quality of life, and being surrounded by those you care about the most. Work will always be here, so you have to do everything in your power to make sure you are too.
Okay, so now your turn. Do you find it difficult to establish balance in your life when it comes to work?
What ways do you work toward work-life balance? – I’d love to hear!
I completely struggle with this. I know I need to just get up early to get my stuff done, but I can’t get myself out of bed in the morning. Hopefully after my girls start sleeping through the night, it’ll change. These are some great tips! Thank you for co-hosting Creative Style Linkup with me! Have a blessed weekend!
Tenns, this was great. My battle right now is learning to balance life, work, family with blogging. I think these apply. My blog is important, but not more important than some other things in my life. It is really important to me to keep that balance!
Great tips here, Tenns. I agree it takes discipline to have balance – just like with a lot of things. Also, I have lately realized that I can’t do it all and sometimes I am just not able to get everything done that I want to on my blog – I try and put my family and home life first so that things run smoothly.
When I was trying to sell something I definitely struggled with this even the more. When I do decide to open a store on my blog, I’m hoping to really have a handle on this sort of thing and to really go at my own pace. I sort of have a plan for that based on what I want to sell. I think if I keep family at the forefront and just do the other stuff as I can, it works out for me. I know it’s not that easy for everyone depending on their own type of work and their situation. I just find for me, that’s usually when I feel off balance…like if I”m doing stuff constantly on the computer when my family is up and trying to be around me. Like in this moment, everyone is asleep. But it’s only 9:37pm. It just so worked out that I got this specific time to visit blogs. 🙂
Hello beautiful! Great article. Pinned. Thank you for taking the time to stop by! I hope to see you at our party tonight, it starts at 7 pm. We love to party with you!
Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls