As bloggers we’re always looking for ways to better our blog. I tweak my own blog design on a nearly weekly basis to improve it, make it more appealing. As I read through many blogs, I notice on going trends that could make them more appealing, easier to navigate, and appear cleaner and more professional overall. These 5 tips are definitely not an end all, be all, but simply a few observations and tips I’ve come across to make my blog better.
So here goes:
- Have a set of social media icons/links. Have them visible and near the top and/or at the bottom of each post. This makes it easier for readers to follow you and share your content.
- Have clear and crisp pictures or graphics. Now I know we’re not all professional or even intermediate photographers, but for the most part many of us are able to take a relatively sharp picture. When it comes to graphics, make sure they’re saved in a format that is high quality. This is usually PNG or JPEG format.
- Utilize Pages. Don’t have your sidebars filled up with a ton of things. Decide what’s most important, i.e. sponsors ads, button swaps, etc. Put the rest on another page. It cleans up your site and makes it look less cluttered and more professional.
- Have a subscribe box. Allow readers to sign up for updates and newsletters from your site and receive them via email. This means they’re getting your content delivered directly to their inbox and they will be more likely to click it and visit your site.
- Make sure you have an About Me page that reflects you and your site. It allows people to get to know the real person behind the blog a little. Readers will feel more connected to you and be apt to want to know more about you. This means they will probably spend more time on your site and subscribe too.
I’ll be featuring more blog tips in the future, as I come across and observe them myself. I want us all to have the best blogs possible, so I’m sharing what I know in hopes that it will be helpful to you!